Client made a request to the DHCP server, but it did not respond error on Meraki AP

Solved
netper
Here to help

Client made a request to the DHCP server, but it did not respond error on Meraki AP

Hey guys,
I'm trying to understand where my issue is when creating a VLAN and assigning it to a wireless network.

My setup currently is MX68 connected to > MS250 and connected to MR44 APs.
Currently, devices connecting to the new SSID with the VLAN assigned are getting APIPA and from the AP event logs I'm getting the following error ''Client made a request to the DHCP server, but it did not respond."

I did the following when creating the new VLAN and assigning to SSID:
- Under Security & SD-WAN > Addressing & VLANs - I've created a new VLAN, assigned the MX IP and range of the subnet. (For now, all the ports on the MX are on TRUNK mode allowing all VLANS)
- Under Security & SD-WAN > DHCP - I've made sure the new VLAN shows up and the DHCP server is running.
- Moving to Wireless > SSIDs - Created a new SSID and under Client IP and VLAN did the following.

AP.png

On the AP itself I see DHCP and ARP failures.

Would really appreciate your help as I must be missing something.

1 Accepted Solution

Just updating that as predicted this was the issue.
One of the switches in the middle which were managed by outside source didnt have the VLAN.

Thanks all

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is the port where the AP is connected configured as a trunk allowing the VLAN in question? Have you reviewed the port configuration on all devices?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Hey,
Yes, the ports for the APs are in TRUNK mode and allowing all VLANS.

I do have other VLANs that were configured before and are working on wired and wireless connection (different SSID)

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Also the switchport to the mx is trunk all?

netper
Here to help

Yes 
The uplink from the MS switch to the MS is configured as TRUNK and all vlans as well.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What is the native vlan set on the trunk port connecting to the AP?

Do you have any firewall rules set on the SSID?

Do you have DHCP guard set on the SSID?

Native VLAN kept at default '1'.
No firewall rules at all (only allow any any) it's a new SSID.
DHCP guard is disabled on that SSID, also others.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

At this point I would start taking some packet captures along the path to track where the DHCP discover gets to.

I captured packets on the AP that a test client was connected to.
I think it doesn't go past the Discover part of the request. 

packets.png

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Can you put a switchport as access port with vlan 16 and try to connect a client to that port

netper
Here to help

Hmm I did try that in one of the MS switches and no luck still not getting proper IP address.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Did you try it on the switch that is directly connected to the mx?

You should really look at all trunks between switch-switch and switch-mx again to make sure vlan 16 is on there or everything is set to "all"

You could additionally make a access port the mx itself with vlan 16 to see if that works with a client

netper
Here to help

When connecting to the MX itself and setting the port as 'access' I did get the correct address.
When connected to the MS switch, I got APIPA.

We do have some temporary switches in the middle, but should all be set to trunk.
As I now know that the problem lies somewhere in between the MX the switch I will start from there.

Just updating that as predicted this was the issue.
One of the switches in the middle which were managed by outside source didnt have the VLAN.

Thanks all

Daalpo
Just browsing

Client made a request to the DHCP server, but it did not respond if I am getting this type of error then how can I resolve 

Daalpo
Just browsing

Client made a request to the DHCP server, but it did not respond.request_ip='10.76.150.247' request_server='unknown' details='no_dhcp_response' reassoc='1' roam_ap='E6:55:B8:0D:EE:EF' radio='1' vap='0' channel='108' rssi='40'

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels