Client connecting on 2.4GHz but SSID is set for 5GHz only?

IanTerry
Getting noticed

Client connecting on 2.4GHz but SSID is set for 5GHz only?

Hi, 

MR55 with 2x SSIDs, one of which is configured to be 5GHz only - the other SSID is 2.4/5GHz with band steering. 

Noticed that my laptop is connected to the 5Ghz only SSID but is identifying its connected with 2.4Ghz ! Only when I change the adapter setting to be 5GHz only and not "Auto" does it then correctly display the 5GHz details. 

If an SSID is 5GHz only, why does a laptop successfully connect at 2.4GHz ? Is this related to RF Profiles whereby an AP, by default, provides both 2.4 & 5GHz??

Thoughts welcome, because its not making much sense. 

Thanks

regards, Ian

6 REPLIES 6
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Where did you configure  this. At access control?

Because the rf profile needs to be set correctly first. (per ssid)

IanTerry
Getting noticed

Yes set under the Access Control for the SSID

The RF Profile is default for indoor (Basic Indoor Profile). 

Therefore are you saying that I need and RF Profile for each SSID and then apply to Wireless Access point? 

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No.

You can go to the rf profile. And set it to "per ssid". Only then it will start using the access control page band settings

IanTerry
Getting noticed

OK - the default profile looks to be fine as it is for now - will try as you suggest. 

IanTerry
Getting noticed

Great - seems to be functioning as expected now.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

My guess - client Wifi driver bug.  I would update the WiFi driver on the machine before doing anything else.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels