Client OS Type Identifiers are mostly wrong

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

Client OS Type Identifiers are mostly wrong

Anybody know why? Especially with a bunch of macs and iPhones it basically knows which is a mac and which is a phone (except Big Sur which it thinks is an iPhone) but like how hard is it to figure out the identifier and tag them properly?

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
3 REPLIES 3
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Don’t know why but I do agree it isn’t the most reliable of tools

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>how hard is it to figure out the identifier and tag them properly

Do you know of an easy way of doing it by only passively watching the traffic?

It seems to have been accurate before. I dont get why its not anymore. They literally include version numbers down to point releases. If they don't have a way to pinpoint the version why do that? 

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels