Client Location tracking.

MichelRueger
Building a reputation

Client Location tracking.

In a lot of meraki Documentation you see a Blue Point where the Client is in the Map:

image5.png

But in my meraki Dashboard i never see this:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-30 um 14.18.52.png

Why. I habe a complete Meraki Only Network. WLAN 4 AP / Switch / MX but there is now Information where the client is. does Somebody has an idea?

Thanks A lot for any Input. Michel

5 REPLIES 5
LuisCruz
Here to help

Hi Michel,

That little blue dot under your AP in the middle is what you are looking for, I've found that the location is not always accurate but it does help to give you an idea of where that device is. Below is an example of a few hosts in some of the networks I manage.

LuisCruz_0-1593533660654.png

LuisCruz_2-1593534228323.png

Hope this helps.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

if the dot is directly under AP, it could be the the case that device is only seen by that AP.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

To get good location accuracy the client has to be visible by 4 APs at the same time (aka, very dense).  You need a minimum of 3 APs to get it roughly right.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Here is an example where we have a few APs and I know where the device really is, the red dot marks that:

cmr_0-1593556028516.png

As you can see, the dot does appear within the circle and the circle is about 9m diameter.  Not amazingly accurate, but not too bad.

MichelRueger
Building a reputation

Great Thanks to all your Help. I have a 100m2 Flat and 4 Access Points. it seems that the accuracy is not to good to show where my Laptops are 😞 .

The distance between the AP are max 10 Meters.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels