Client Description Name

Tung_Nguyen
Here to help

Client Description Name

We rolled out a dozen of chromebooks.  They connected to our wireless.  Under Network-Wide Clients description does not show the hostname of the device but it only showed IPv6 mac address.

We do track client by mac address.  How do i get the description show the hostname that we assign to. Thanks in advance for your help.

4 REPLIES 4
Spectre
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi Tung_Nguyen,

Here's an extract from our documentation site:

Cisco Meraki devices can identify the hostname of a client device using NetBIOS, Bonjour and DHCP. In some instances, the detected hostname may be undesirable. For example, 2 devices on the same network with identical hostnames or a device that has been identified by its MAC address. The hostname can be overridden within Dashboard by configuring a manual value.
To manually edit the hostname, perform the following configuration steps:

In Dashboard, navigate to Network-wide > Monitor > Clients.
Click on the client in the list you wish to modify.
Click Edit details on the Client Details page.
Edit the Name field with the desired hostname.
Click the Save button.

Hope this helps!

Is it possible to clear out the client name customizations that have been done?

Since they are attached to the mac address, the cusotmized name stays with the device, not the assigned user of the device.

Thanks

EJN
A model citizen

I would love to see this option to clear the manually edited description, either on a per device basis or clear all.

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
EJN
A model citizen

Found this article in the knowledgebase, but no reference on how to clear/reset to the hostname for one (or many or all) clients.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Rename_a_Client's_Hos...

I've now run into an issue where some clients hostname was edited, the hostname was later changed on the client, and now there is a mismatch/error/duplicate in client names.

At a minimum I would hope there is an option to reset to hostname for a single client.

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels