Client Connections Bouncing between AP's (MR-52) and Radio Settings (2.4 Ghz to 5 Ghz).

Solved
jfitz0715
Comes here often

Client Connections Bouncing between AP's (MR-52) and Radio Settings (2.4 Ghz to 5 Ghz).

We have approximately 15 AP's (MR-52) in our building.  During the past week I have seen a trend in client devices not connecting to AP's that are close in proximity.  It appears that devices will connect to AP at a farther distance than the AP that is closes to it.  In other words, some users devices (phones, pads and laptops are not connecting to the nearest AP.

Also when toggling between SSID's example:  Tarana-Guest and Tarana-SC the radio settings (channel utilization) will show 5 Ghz with clients are connecting to Guest SSID and 2.4 Ghz when clients are connecting to SC SSID.

Does Meraki AP's perform load balancing based of clients devices on a single AP?  Also, what policies are set for devices to switch channels (from 2.4 Ghz to 5 Ghz)?  Are there any settings that I apply?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Regards,

~ Jerry

1 Accepted Solution
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The band selection section will use whatever mode you have enabled. So, if you have selected the all SSIDs tab only the options below it matter. That said I'd use All SSIDs mode, dual band enabled, band steering enabled.

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 16.22.25.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@jfitz0715 there are a few options that you might want to look at.  Client load balancing steers clients to less loaded APs, so this might be causing your first issue.  Secondly, SSIDs can be set to 5GHz only, 2.4GHz only or both.  If both, then the SSID can be set to push devices towards 5GHz.  Can you share the SSID settings on your APs?

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Client balancing can be enabled under the RF profile. It appears you do have that enabled. Looking at your event log it shows client balancing is being used as expected. You can see this under event type "802.11 association rejected for client balancing ".

Band Steering is also enabled on your network. That persuades dual band clients to join the 5GHz network. This is typically good to have enabled unless you see a specific scenario in which it's causing an issue.

Clients have their own programmed routines for when/how they roam. Apple has this documented for iOS devices. So, just because your device might be physically closer to a certain AP doesn't automatically mean the device would or should connect to it.

So with all that said it mostly comes down to the client to decide how and what to connect to.

Also, I see 10 of the 15 APs have their 2.4GHz and/or the 5GHz channel statically configured. Is there a specific reason that was done?

jfitz0715
Comes here often

Hello RYMILES!

Thanks for getting back to me.  I am new to this role and have just been able to view the Meraki AP Settings.  Should I check "Band Steering" for all SSID in the General Section or uncheck all the band selections for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and leave the Band Steering option checked on the  "Per SSID" tab?

Can you provide me with a little direction.

Thank.

~ Jerry

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The band selection section will use whatever mode you have enabled. So, if you have selected the all SSIDs tab only the options below it matter. That said I'd use All SSIDs mode, dual band enabled, band steering enabled.

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 16.22.25.png

Thank you so much for the information.

Have a good weekend!

~ Jerry

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels