Cisco Meraki MR57 wireless access points - Static IP

Shadius
Building a reputation

Cisco Meraki MR57 wireless access points - Static IP

I've got a weird issue where I can no longer assign a static IP address to the MR57 wireless access points we have deployed and the wireless access point remains offline. The switchport is a trunk port using the management VLAN of the switch.

Screenshots below:

Switchport configuration:

Shadius_0-1660713723821.png

I've input the static IP address into the wireless access point's configuration, but it will not come online. I've tried cycling the switchport, but still nothing. I've tried changing the switchport to an access port and using another VLAN, but still nothing. I read in another post that you're supposed to leave the VLAN in the access point's configuration blank, but even that didn't work.

What am I doing wrong?

4 REPLIES 4
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

So you are configuring the AP with a static IP in the Subnet belonging to VLAN 26?

And when you say that the static IP isn't working, does the AP work as expected with DHCP in the same VLAN?

Shadius
Building a reputation

@KarstenI The switchport is configured to use VLAN 26, which is the switch's management VLAN, but they're configuring the access point to use an IP address in a different subnet on VLAN 401.

So say IP address 172.31.32.40 on VLAN 401, which is the wireless VLAN.

@DarrenOCI thought of this too, but the subnet 172.31.32.0/20 isn't being used elsewhere. Even in DHCP mode, it doesn't come online.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As a next step I would power cycle the AP and capture the traffic on the switch-port. There you see what the AP does. For example if it ARPs for it's own IP or tries to send out data with that IP. That could give you some hints.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Shadius , is the static Ip you’re trying to assign in use elsewhere?  I’ve seen this before when trying to setup some devices.  Given some IPs to use, the devices refuse to accept the IPs and remain in DHCP mode.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels