Chromecast connected but cannot cast to it

SOLVED
Cozzycam
Here to help

Chromecast connected but cannot cast to it

Hi all,

I have a Chromecast Gen 2, which I have connected to my SSID with no splash page or anything (meraki default). My phone is also connected to this same SSID. It connects fine but in the initial setup, I get the error below (pic attached). Isolation is not enabled.

I read that creating a policy to bypass splash page could be a solution (regardless of whether or not a splash page is being used), which had no effect, even though I added the Chromecast to the clients list by MAC.

As far as I'm aware, the Chromecast is connected as is my phone, however, neither can communicate over the network. Again isolation is NOT enabled. The Chromecast shows up on the clients list but when I click on it, I get the message: "Sorry, we couldn't find that client. Please go back and try again"

I'm at my wit's end with this. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

TIA!!

Screenshot_20191220-225851_Home.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I would try setting the SSID to bridged mode.  I would not expect a Chromecast to work under the default NAT with DHCP setting.  That is intended for guest networks where you don't want clients to communicate with each other.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

DNS or MDNS might be a place to look. Also I would recommend doing a packet capture on both devices when this issue is happening. I have found many issues making sure Chromecast will work in certain networks.

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I would try setting the SSID to bridged mode.  I would not expect a Chromecast to work under the default NAT with DHCP setting.  That is intended for guest networks where you don't want clients to communicate with each other.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@BrandonSis correct:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Client_Addressing_and_Bridging/SSID_Modes_for_Client_IP_Assignme...

Wireless clients cannot use Layer 2 discovery protocols to find other devices on either the wired or wireless network.

Cheers mate! Worked

AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

I agree with @BrandonS.

Possibly this shall solve the issue.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels