Chromebook roaming issues - possible hidden node issue?

MikeMinardi1
Conversationalist

Chromebook roaming issues - possible hidden node issue?

I have been experiencing difficulties with certain models of Chromebooks within our network.  When I look at the event log I see the Chromebook hopping between two or three access points.  I get an 802.11 association, an 802.11 WPA authentication, and a WPA deauthentication, and then this cycle continues on a different access point with the Chromebook never establishing a solid connection.  This usually happens when the Chromebook is located in a room that has no access point, but is nested between two rooms that do have access points.  I am wondering if anyone else is seeing this issue?  My guess is that this is a hidden node issue where clients in the room with an access point are unable to 'hear' the client in the room without an access point.  I do not see any options in the dashboard to adjust CTS/RTS settings which is the suggestion when troubleshooting hidden node issues.  Does anyone know how the Meraki MR46 access points handles the hidden node problem? 

5 Replies 5
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@MikeMinardi1 are you running firmware 27.6, it fixed some WPA issues? 

If you are, what are the AP power settings, they might be too high, this can result in the client seeing the AP but the AP not seeing the client's reply.  The AP power settings can be seen under Wireless / Radio Settings per band as below:

cmr_0-1612287444458.png

MikeMinardi1
Conversationalist

The power settings of the surrounding APs are 15dBm and 8dBm.  I am using the Basic Indoor Profile and letting them configure the power automatically.  I have 52 sites to manage so to have to manually set power on my problem APs would be a challenge.  I am using firmware 27.6 as Meraki support suggested and am still seeing this ongoing issue.

Bossnine
Building a reputation

You said it often is when the client is in a room without an AP, but does it do so when its in a room with an AP also?

In most cases, when I add a AP to the room having issues, the problem resolves.  I am coming to the realization that this is most likely going to be the best fix for the issue.

Bossnine
Building a reputation

That's how I have to handle my environment due to the sheer density of clients we serve, which is a school environment.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels