Channel utilization

ranjankumarsgh
Getting noticed

Channel utilization

I am facing high channel utilization on Ch11 (approx 67% to 71%) as well these utilization are showing on rest of channels also on 2.4 Ghz band. Is there any way to mitigate this.

ranjankumarsgh_0-1632039084934.png

Also I checked interferance on Channel 11 as per below output. Please let me understand what does it mean "not Seen" on LAN Column

ranjankumarsgh_1-1632039209727.png

10 REPLIES 10
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That its coming from a device that is not connected  to your network.

Here you can find some possible sources. But better to avoid  2.4 and use 5ghz where possible

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Common_Sources_of_Wireless_Interf...

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Or use channel 8, that and the two bands either side all seem clear...

WB
Building a reputation

Channel 8? That's not 1, 6 or 11....

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It is only a (mainly US centric) convention to use 1,6, and 11.  In Europe we have 1-13 so you can use 3,8 and 13 without them overlapping and they have less direct interference with someone using 1,6 and 11.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

And then again if you only have one or two access points on a site, you can ‘go nuts’ with your channel selections so long as you keep 4 channels between the ones you choose to use… just understand why you normally only use 1, 6, 11.

1 6 & 11 are not overlapping channel. Apart from this can we use other channel

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As long as your minimum bitrate is 12Mbps then you can use 1,5,9 and 13 outside of north America

cmr_0-1632413252322.png

Credit to Wikipedia for the above image

WB
Building a reputation

Ye fair, I've always thought that Japan was the only place that actually utilised chan 13!

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Can you switch to 5Ghz?

This could be a lot of things - DECT cordless phones, high bandwidth bluetooth devices, wireless microphones, WiFi on a nearby network, video senders, etc.

A lot of devices use the 2.4Ghz spectrum.  Quite possibly, even if you do identify what is causing it, you may not be able to do anything about it.

End devices are not capable to support 5ghz. I will have to stabilize with 2.4 Ghz only. Few more Merkai AP's are deployed at location and configured in auto channel selection .

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels