Change DNS settings on AP's with API

SOLVED
Ferdy
Here to help

Change DNS settings on AP's with API

Hi,

I configured around 180 AP's in 1 organization with static IP addresses and static DNS. I would like to change only the DNS settings for all AP's, using API (with Postman app). I cannot change to DHCP because of monitoring systems. Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

If you can it would be using this endpoint:

https://api.meraki.com/api_docs#update-the-management-interface-settings-for-a-device

You should be able to change only DNS, but I would test this out before hammering your Org with it 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

If you can it would be using this endpoint:

https://api.meraki.com/api_docs#update-the-management-interface-settings-for-a-device

You should be able to change only DNS, but I would test this out before hammering your Org with it 🙂

Just did the first test and the AP comes back with the following:
{
"wan1": {
"usingStaticIp": true,
"staticIp": "192.168.1.3",
"staticSubnetMask": "255.255.255.0",
"staticGatewayIp": "192.168.1.1",
"staticDns": [
"8.8.8.8",
"8.8.4.4"
],
"vlan": null
}
}

Looks promising!

If you PUT the following with Postman:

{
"wan1": {
"staticDns": [
"208.67.222.222",
"208.67.220.220"
]
}
}

Only the DNS changes from the previous values to (in this case) the Cisco Umbrella (OpenDNS) values. It leaves the other "wan1" values as they were, so thanks a lot for pointing me to the right solution!

When using collections together with a CSV in Postman, you can change all AP's at once!

Nash
Kind of a big deal

I don't think you can update IP or DNS info via API. It looks like update device attributes only allows the following:

{
"name":"Your AP",
"tags":" recently-added ",
"lat":37.4180951010362,
"lng":-122.098531723022,
"address":"1600 Pennsylvania Ave",
"moveMapMarker": true
}

It would be great if we could update stuff similar to updating WAN settings on an MX. So, so great. Edit: Wait, does this only work on MX? I only see reference to WAN ports.

Would your monitoring system settle down if you had reliable reservations setup? Or did you run into problems with that? Just curious - that's been our solution for monitoring Meraki devices with Auvik, but we're not sure if it's the best one or not. You'd still have to make that change manually across all devices...

ANyone ever get a solution for this???

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels