Ceiling Installation of MR 74

SOLVED
Jun
Here to help

Ceiling Installation of MR 74

Hi
Does anyone know whether MR 74 can be installed on the ceiling?

I am concerned about being able to withstand the weight.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The other answers are correct to follow the installation guide.  These APs are heavier (2.4 pounds or 1.1 kg) because it's not a client device, but an infrastructure device, and the heavier weight is simply an indication of a good ruggedized product design with appropriate IP67 sealing and thermal characteristics.  The weight is not an issue when properly installed as per the install guide. 

If you're finding that you must install on ceiling tiles (which can typically support more than twice that weight without concern, but still) you must check the tile manufacturer's specs.  Most/all ceiling tile manufacturers have guidelines for maximum weight/loading, as well as accessories for suspending heavier objects such as signs.  But it depends on the type of grid layout, the spacing of the suspension points, size of the tiles, etc to determine the safe weight and spacing limits of signs, lighting, and APs for example.  

You should also be able to use any open hole in the mounting cradle, or the grounding strap screw if you're not using it, to attach a lightweight safety cable that connects to some other solid mounting surface above the ceiling for example, so if the actual mounting mechanism or ceiling tile ever failed (like from water damage or whatever) the AP would be caught by the safety cable instead of dangling by the Ethernet cable or falling to the floor.  

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Should be fine.

Thank you!!

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Does the MR74 come with the t-rail mounting for ceiling grids?

I'm not seeing one from the install guide:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Installation_Guides/MR74_Installation_Guide

Looks like it requires a solid wall or solid ceiling to mount to based on the diagram. It does have some weight to it so i would be personally a little nervous but then again I think the 4800's also weight a ton so who knows lol
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

It doesn't provide rail mounts indeed. But the universal mount can be used for ceiling mounting.

MA-MNT-MR-7

I thought @Jun was worried about the kit keeping the weight of the AP. That shouldn't be a problem. The ceiling itsself must be able to hold the screws of course. Hence the note in the guide:

It is recommended that the MR74 be mounted to a wall or solid ceiling using the mount plate for physical security reasons.

The other answers are correct to follow the installation guide.  These APs are heavier (2.4 pounds or 1.1 kg) because it's not a client device, but an infrastructure device, and the heavier weight is simply an indication of a good ruggedized product design with appropriate IP67 sealing and thermal characteristics.  The weight is not an issue when properly installed as per the install guide. 

If you're finding that you must install on ceiling tiles (which can typically support more than twice that weight without concern, but still) you must check the tile manufacturer's specs.  Most/all ceiling tile manufacturers have guidelines for maximum weight/loading, as well as accessories for suspending heavier objects such as signs.  But it depends on the type of grid layout, the spacing of the suspension points, size of the tiles, etc to determine the safe weight and spacing limits of signs, lighting, and APs for example.  

You should also be able to use any open hole in the mounting cradle, or the grounding strap screw if you're not using it, to attach a lightweight safety cable that connects to some other solid mounting surface above the ceiling for example, so if the actual mounting mechanism or ceiling tile ever failed (like from water damage or whatever) the AP would be caught by the safety cable instead of dangling by the Ethernet cable or falling to the floor.  

I use this Acceltex AP/Antenna mount for my MR74 in warehouse. Thankfully it has two of these i-beam bolts that clamp down so its very secure, but even with both of those, I still require the installers to have a metal wire cable crimped to the antenna mount itself, and to the i-beam because if this thing were to get knocked by a forklift or something, the Ethernet cable would not be able to hold it. If this were to fall from 40 feet its going to do serious damage.

http://shop.acceltex.com/product_info.php?cPath=113&products_id=273

ATS-APANTARTMNT-UNIV1_4.jpg

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

@NolanHerring wrote:

I use this Acceltex AP/Antenna mount for my MR74 in warehouse. Thankfully it has two of these i-beam bolts that clamp down so its very secure, but even with both of those, I still require the installers to have a metal wire cable crimped to the antenna mount itself, and to the i-beam because if this thing were to get knocked by a forklift or something, the Ethernet cable would not be able to hold it. If this were to fall from 40 feet its going to do serious damage.

http://shop.acceltex.com/product_info.php?cPath=113&products_id=273

ATS-APANTARTMNT-UNIV1_4.jpg

Good point.  OP might consider a safety strap so even if it comes loose from a ceiling tile it can't fall on someone.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

@NolanHerring @BrandonS 

It seems to be more secure if you use this mounting tool.
Judge whether it is used by looking at the environment!

Thanks for the information!

@MerakiDave 

Thank you for providing very helpful information!
Since I have never actually installed the installation work, I am always worried about Meraki 's weight system AP falling down.

This is supposed to be supplemented with the attached mount kit.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels