Casting from Guest Wi-Fi

SOLVED
jbNewMill
Here to help

Casting from Guest Wi-Fi

I am wanting to allow devices connected to my Guest Wi-Fi the ability to cast to TVs for presentations, proposals, etc. It appears that there is some allowance for communication with other devices, but I am unable to get this to work at all. Does anyone know of a way to make this happen? The TVs can exist within the guest network or on the wired LAN, it matters not. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jbNewMill
Here to help

So I guess that the answer is: No. You cannot natively cast from a device that is connected to a guest Wi-Fi network utilizing "NAT Mode." Thank you, everyone, for your assistance.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Are you using Chromecasts?  If so, my chromecasts are hardwired and I had to make sure my wireless has access to the same network the chromecasts are on.  Which is not the case for my guest network. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.

This could be a Chromecast or a Miracast enabled TV; it doesn't matter to me. We are wanting guests, who can only connect to the guest network, to be able to cast video to these TVs. The problem with the guest network is that devices are isolated from each other completely. Is there a way to allow for a specific device (the TV, Chromecast, or whatever) to become visible to the guest network's devices?

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

It sounds like you are using the NAT and DHCP option on your MR's?  The easiest solution would be to have a guest VLAN and bridge your guest SSID to that and use the same SSID for streaming devices.  Then streaming devices and guests are in the same subnet and there should be no issue (except that guests can see each other too).

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Could the TV's live on the guest network?  Or maybe a separate network 'Guest TV' for just the TV's and guests that need to broadcast to them?

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.

Yeah, I had considered that. It has been decided that we want to keep the clients separated. There is an option in the SSID Firewall Settings that permits me to allow communicate with devices on the wired LAN. I've entered the TV's information (IP and Port) on this page, but I have, unfortunately, not been able to make this work. Is this a potential solution?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You need to be using bridging rather than NAT mode, and you need both the client devices and the ChromeCast devices to be located in the same guest vlan.

If that's the case, then of what use is the option stated under NAT mode that says "but they may communicate with devices on the wired LAN if the SSID firewall settings permit"? It seems like allowance for this has been made somehow.

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

They can communicate from the guest network behind NAT to the wired LAN via layer 3.  Most streaming devices like/need to be on the same layer 2 domain as the clients and not behind NAT though.

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Bonjour forwarding is available to allow Apple devices like Apple TV to be on a different VLAN from the client devices, but still not intended for devices behind NAT as far as I can tell.

jbNewMill
Here to help

So I guess that the answer is: No. You cannot natively cast from a device that is connected to a guest Wi-Fi network utilizing "NAT Mode." Thank you, everyone, for your assistance.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels