Cannot identify new clients

SOLVED
timfeld
Conversationalist

Cannot identify new clients

Hello - My two Meraki APs (MR16) send me a daily summary report. Several days ago some new devices appeared in the list. I cannot figure out what they are. I am not aware of anything new being added to the LAN. They appear every day (some days fewer and some days more) and I am suspicious. Below is a screenshot from the report. Does anyone have an idea what these devices might be?

Thanks!

Meraki.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Raj66
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Probably Amazon fire tablets or kindle books... Whatever they are, they are consuming a good amount of your bandwidth. If you do not recognize these devices, may be a good idea to block them.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Group_Policies_and_Blacklisting/Blocking_and_Whitelisting_Client...

Best 

Raj

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Made by Amazon, and running Android? Sounds like a Fire tablet to me. Or perhaps a fire stick? 

Could be a kindle as well, but I don't know if those run Android.

My wifes Kindle reports as a Android device on my home network. Whether it is actually running Android or not is another matter. 

Raj66
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Probably Amazon fire tablets or kindle books... Whatever they are, they are consuming a good amount of your bandwidth. If you do not recognize these devices, may be a good idea to block them.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Group_Policies_and_Blacklisting/Blocking_and_Whitelisting_Client...

Best 

Raj

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it

@timfeld  do you use Amazon Fire TV sticks although the bandwidth looks a little low for video streaming. 

Could also be Amazon echo's streaming music? Any hints in the dashboard about what kind of applications those clients are using?

timfeld
Conversationalist

Thanks Raj! This network has a fairly stable and predictable number of clients and types of clients. These appeared suddenly. I will take your advice and block them. Perhaps I will find out who they belong to when I start receiving comments regarding no wireless access 🙂

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels