Can't add a syslog server - receiving an error

SOLVED
FBettencourt
Here to help

Can't add a syslog server - receiving an error

I am attempting to implement a SIEM connection and am following instructions in Cisco Meraki - Syslog Server Overview and Configuration.  When I add it I receive the following error: "Settings could not be saved. Please verify that your connection is working and try again."

This is only happening in one of my wireless networks... I have a standby network that does not have any devices and I was able to add the syslog to it.  I verified that I have full admin rights across all of my Meraki wireless networks and System Managers.  I have also verified syslog server, firewall, and SIEM configs are correct. I have tried in different browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Edge).

I have a ticket in, but your thoughts are welcomed and appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
FBettencourt
Here to help

SOLUTION FOUND!  Huge thank you to Cole Hulse, Meraki Tech Support

"Apologies for the delay in response. I took some time looking into this and found that it looks like there is an issue with one of your "Location and scanning" post URLs that might be causing the error with saving the configuration. It looks like the first one that is showing as down is potentially the cause. Are you able to attempt to toggle the radio type off and back to Wifi and see if there's any change?"

On the post URL showing down, I toggled the Radio Type from WiFi to Bluetooth and saved.  Then put it back to WiFi and validated the source, and saved.  I was then able to add the syslog server without issue!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What port did you enter?

Can you try another ip+ port. For example ip 1.2.3.4 port 5555

@ww I have tried the recommended UDP port 514 (syslog), as well as 515, 989, 990, 5570 and 5540.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@FBettencourt I know this sounds really silly, but have you added the roles you want sent to the syslog server, as below:

cmr_0-1619024634590.png

@cmr - no worries, lol!  Yes I have.  I have tried one role as well as multiple or all four available roles.  It's weird because I was able to save the config change in another network, just not the one I need data from.

FBettencourt_2-1619027702712.png

FBettencourt_0-1619027534066.png

Any chance your browser is auto-filling a field and you are not noticing?  You can try using incognito mode to help rule this out.

@PhilipDAth - Just gave your idea a go and had no change.  Still rcvng same error.

FBettencourt
Here to help

SOLUTION FOUND!  Huge thank you to Cole Hulse, Meraki Tech Support

"Apologies for the delay in response. I took some time looking into this and found that it looks like there is an issue with one of your "Location and scanning" post URLs that might be causing the error with saving the configuration. It looks like the first one that is showing as down is potentially the cause. Are you able to attempt to toggle the radio type off and back to Wifi and see if there's any change?"

On the post URL showing down, I toggled the Radio Type from WiFi to Bluetooth and saved.  Then put it back to WiFi and validated the source, and saved.  I was then able to add the syslog server without issue!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels