Can SSID1 talk to SSID2 devices

SOLVED
diablo24
Building a reputation

Can SSID1 talk to SSID2 devices

Hi,

If I configure multiple SSIDs on my AP, does it allow for SSID to SSID communication?

Thanks in advance,

-Jerome

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Only considering the AP, then there is no way to allow two different SSIDs to talk to each other.  However an AP does need to plug into something to be useful, such as a switch, and that can provide the capability.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Well, technically SSID's themselves don't communicate with each other, but you could have more than one SSID in the same VLAN and subnet or you can route between them via a layer 3 device.  

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As @BrandonS said; pretend the two SSID's are separate Ethernet segments.  Weather they can talk to each other is just the same as in a wired world.  If you provide a method for them to talk to each other then they can - otherwise no.

diablo24
Building a reputation

@PhilipDAth@BrandonS

Thanks! Yes, I understand if you have route between SSIDs then you can communicate. Sorry I wasn't clear. I mean in general, on the AP itself, w/o any routing, the SSIDs wouldn't be allowed to talk.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Only considering the AP, then there is no way to allow two different SSIDs to talk to each other.  However an AP does need to plug into something to be useful, such as a switch, and that can provide the capability.

diablo24
Building a reputation

@PhilipDAth

Thanks for the quick reply! That answers my question!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels