Can Port 1 (PoE) of 30H power a MR33?

scrapiron
Getting noticed

Can Port 1 (PoE) of 30H power a MR33?

The MR33 looks like it is booting up but then just gives me the flashing amber light. 

5 REPLIES 5
scrapiron
Getting noticed

The MR30H is powered with MS-225-24P switch. It is pulling 11 watts with the MR33 having off Port 1 and booting up.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you powering your MR30H from a switch that can deliver 802.3at power (aka 30W)?  You'll need that to be able to offer 802.3af out (15.4W).

Yes. The MR30H is plugged into MS-225-24P and advertising 30Watts
scrapiron
Getting noticed

This is some kind of configuration issue. I tried a new MR33 and it didn't work either. I have also tried using AC and 802.11at injectors plugged into the MR33 that is connected to Port 1 of the 30H. Heck, I even inserted another Meraki MS-220-8P between the 30H and 33. 

Hardwiring my laptop in Port 1 works perfectly. 

Are MR APs supported when plugged into MR30Hs? All mine just blink amber after giving up after 2-3 minutes.

Hi @scrapiron

The use case of having any MR connected to the PoE port on an MR30H would not be a supported topology; DHCP from other MRs are not forwarded in order to prevent weird mesh topologies from forming. Other devices, such as laptops, would work just fine because DHCP packets are forwarded.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels