Can I reuse Meraki MR53 units on new customer network

martinlavin
Conversationalist

Can I reuse Meraki MR53 units on new customer network

Hi all.

First time on here.

I am a security equipment/ network installer in Ireland.

We are on a site at the moment that has approx. 10nr Meraki MR53 units mounted on the ceiling throughout the building floor.

All POE network cables go back tidy to a rack in the original comms room.

The floor has been unoccupied for last 2nr years and all other networking equipment has been removed from the comms room.

The client has asked if it is possible to get these Meraki MR53 units to work with the new network that is currently being installed????

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Martin

6 REPLIES 6
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @martinlavin , does your customer own the eqpt?  Did they purchase the eqpt and licenses?  If they’re not the original owner then they’ll struggle to get the devices registered on their dashboard.  Nor will support help here unless your customer can provide proof of ownership.

That said….what happens if you try to claim the devices in their dashboard?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Hi UCert,

Just created a dashboard account with Meraki and entered all the serial numbers.

All the devices added to my system.........

I guess all I have to do now is unclaim devices again, get client to setup system and claim devices and then get client to purchase a license for each device?????

Your customer got lucky 😁

I will stress at this point however that they may struggle with hardware RMAs in the future should a device fail.  Unless they can provide proof of purchase of the hardware.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

And thanks for the advise.

Hi Ucert

Pock your brain if you don't mind.

I now have a box of 11nr MR42 and 3nr MR53 unclaimed Cisco access points.

Just installed an Aruba system for client.

What value are these used, unclaimed and no license?

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes that shouldn't be an issue provided you have access to the Meraki dashboard and have ownership of the devices. If they are claimed in someone else's dashboard you are out of luck. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels