Can I connect ADSL link (internet link) directly to a Meraki AP (MR20/MR33)

SOLVED
Ciscoguy7
Conversationalist

Can I connect ADSL link (internet link) directly to a Meraki AP (MR20/MR33)

We will have a small cafe and will install a wifi connectivity. Can I connect ADSL link (internet link) directly to a Meraki AP (MR20/MR33)? or should I have a router first?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No, an MR can't do PPPoE. For that you'd need an MX first. Dynamic public IP is not an issue. The cloud connection is outgoing.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Can you tell us some more about the ADSL connection? Where is it terminated? It's likely that the device it's terminated is in fact a router. Either way, yes you can directly connect an MR to the internet. Just make sure your SSIDs are in NAT mode in that case.

The adsl link is connected to a ISP modem. 

Can we configure Meraki AP to have dynamic public IP (PPPoE) and still be managed through the cloud controller?

No, an MR can't do PPPoE. For that you'd need an MX first. Dynamic public IP is not an issue. The cloud connection is outgoing.

@BrechtSchamp Actually an MX isn't required a Z3 does PPPoE.

@Ciscoguy7  Also another product to consider to swap with the MR33 would be a Meraki Go GR10 Access Point, not sure that it does PPPoE, but it might be more suited for a small cafe. Also about 80% cheaper.

dalmiroy2k
Getting noticed

If your xDSL modem is configured in router mode, so it dials the PPPoE connection and has a DCHP server with NAT, connecting it to a MR33 (With Power Supply) will work and it will reach the Meraki Cloud.

Most ADSL modems are set up this way by ISPs.

MR33.jpg

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels