CE regulatory domain - only one 80Mhz channel at 24dBm

PawelG
Building a reputation

CE regulatory domain - only one 80Mhz channel at 24dBm

Hi all,

Do I understand well that in CE regulatory domain in Meraki implementation there is only one 80Mhz channel at 24dBm (UNII2-extended) power available - it is the 106 (built from 100,104,108 and 112)?

The 122 channel is not available as channels 120,124 and 128 are permanently disabled due to wether radar.

The 138 channel is not available as channel 144 is not permitted in EU (or is it just Meraki is not allowing to use it?)

If I understand well it leaves only 3 80MHz channels in CE - 2 at 17dBm and 1 at 24dBm?

Br, Pawel.

12 REPLIES 12
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi Pawel,

The chart in the post below from @NolanHerring might help, it did for me

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Wireless-LAN/MR55-radio-range-power/m-p/75298/highlight/true#M11441

I'd say yes, you are correct and that is why my MR55 is set to 106 😎

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Also 144 should be allowed in the UK but shows as blocked, however you can select 138 as an 80MHz channel...

cmr_0-1588149982724.png

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can also select 122 (where the weather radar is), it is just the 20MHz and 40MHz channels that are blocked

cmr_0-1588150125468.png

PawelG
Building a reputation

If you select 122 - it is not using 80Mhz, although it looks like. It is using 116 20MHz channel.

Br, Pawel.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Okay, thanks then, that is rather bad, it should be greyed out...

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have logged a ticket about enabling 144 in the UK, let's see what happens!

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Apparently 144 cannot be enabled in the UK as we are simply covered by the CE regulations. Debate now!

Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

5GHz%20Channel%20Width[1].png

5+GHz+Channel+and+Power+-+2014[1].png

What is there to debate? WiFi is not the only user of the 5GHz sector. WiFi manufacturers should be moving to the 60GHz sector, but they need to clear existing stock, and every day they delay, the more they develop 5GHz technology. Talk about ostriches.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

Originally, some effort was made to construct a channel numbering system that allowed bandwidth to be derived from the channel number selected. For reasons that remain obscure, many WiFi manufacturers did not take advantage of this relationship.🙄🤕👎

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

Is there a reason you'd want to transmit at 24 dBm?

PawelG
Building a reputation

Thanks, I've seen that post.

One thing - there is 144 channel listed here, but in my case (MR45s) I can't select it and thus I can't use 138 80MHz channel.

When I select channel 138 - it says that AP works on 80Mhz, but physically it is using 134 40MHz channel.

Br, Pawel. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Just select 140 then, I think that will work

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels