Bypass WIFI shut off times

Blueberry
Conversationalist

Bypass WIFI shut off times

Hey!

I am new to this site and how WIFI/Internet works in general so sorry if this question has a really simple answer. 🙂 I go to a boarding school where all students are required to download Meraki in order to get WIFI/Internet access (I'm not completely sure on what the difference between WIFI and Internet is.) Me being my paranoid self set up a separate pc that is connected to the WIFI with Meraki on it that is acting as a Wired Router by connecting to my main PC via ethernet cable. (The service I am using is called Connectify Hotspot.) Also note that the computer running Connectify Hotspot is never turned off. Each night the WIFI/Internet gets turned off, and In the morning when it is turned back on, the computer connects to it on its own and starts sharing connection over ethernet to my main computer. However the connection is really slow when it starts up in the morning sometimes, In order to fix it I need to disconnect from the WIFI and reconnect on the pc running Connectify. My goal as of right now is to see if there is a way to bypass the WIFI shut off times so I always have access to WIFI on the computer running Connectify so that I can use Connectify to share the WIFI via ethernet. In my head if the computer is never disconnected from the WIFI it never gets slowed when the WIFI would normally turn on in the morning. If this works my secondary goal would be to by a WIFI adapter and share the WIFI wirelessly and essentially have my own WIFI connection that never turns off. Help on this would mean a lot! I know its weird to go on a site and ask if there is a way that I can bypass their security measures! 

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Sorry, that was quite a long spiel so I skim read so I may not have the full story….

Couldn’t you spin up your own SSID for your own purposes that only you can use?  This way you’re always connected and no one else can use it.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

I'm not completely sure what an SSID is nor how I would create one. I have class right now so I'll look into it later. In the meantime I hope its not a big ask if you could teach me how? Thanks so much for your help!

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You are a student in a boarding school, and the school has implemented a policy where the students don't have Internet access in the evenings, and you want to bypass your school's policy.

Have I understood everything correctly?

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

🤣😂 brilliant- that’ll be the part I didn’t read then 

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

@Blueberry I don't think you should be trying to bypass your schools wifi cutoff, this is the sort of things that can end up with you sitting in a dean or principals office. 

Just speaking from experience here.

Thanks for your concern! The school shuts off the WIFI to encourage students to sleep. However you are still able to be up and are still allowed to access WIFI through other methods like DATA. As a student I just want to take advantage of the provided WIFI instead of paying for my own. I'm a student after all and don't have that much money to spend.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels