Bridge mode with different models

Solved
adamlhayman
Conversationalist

Bridge mode with different models

We have an MR42 that is not quite enough for our new building. We also have an MR34 in a building we are decommissioning. Will these work in bridged mode if I want to move the soon to be unused AP to the building that needs a 2nd AP?
One of my colleagues recalls hearing/reading somewhere that to do bridging all APs had to be the same model, but I don't see anything about that in the documentation I've read. A 2nd opinion would be helpful. 
Thanks. 

1 Accepted Solution

Oh I see.  I was thinking of a different kind of bridging.

Yes, just set the SSID to bring to the local VLAN, and yes, users will be able to roam from one to the other.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

These two will be able to form a bridge link together.

However, you are much better to run a cable to the new install location, and physically cable it rather than use bridging.  Only use bridging as a last resort.  Each bridge link halves the WiFi throughput for nodes connected to that non-wired bridge node.  Also some clients will hang onto a very bad signal from a wired node, rather than moving to a good signal from a non-wired bridge node.

PhillipDAth, Thank you for your reply. I fear I may have used the wrong term then. Both APs will be connected via Ethernet cable to our switch. My concern is having them compliment each other, rather than compete. I would like for my users to be able to walk from one end of the building to the other without noticing that they have switched APs. I was under the impression this was done via enabling the bridging feature of the APs. Am I misunderstanding how to set this up?
Our HQ has 3 APs that do this, but all are identical models.

Oh I see.  I was thinking of a different kind of bridging.

Yes, just set the SSID to bring to the local VLAN, and yes, users will be able to roam from one to the other.

PhilipDAth
Thank you!!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels