cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridge mode vs L3 roaming

bkoch
New here

Bridge mode vs L3 roaming

I recently acquired the administration of our wireless network.  We have approximately 175 access points within our main campus.  The access points are all on the same VLAN.  We are using tags to distributed the wireless clients across 5 other VLANs.  DHCP is done on the wired network.  The old administrator has L3 roaming configured.  But, from what I am reading I believe that bridge mode may be best for our situation.  Can someone tell me which is correct and why?

1 REPLY 1
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Re: Bridge mode vs L3 roaming

@bkoch L3 roaming is only needed, or even wanted, when one SSID has multiple IP subnets / VLANs underneath.

If all of your APs put clients in SSID 1 into VLAN 5 and the IP subnet is always the same then you want bridging. 

If some APs put clients in SSID1 into VLAN 5 and others into VLAN 7, or they have different IP subnets from the different APs, then you want L3 roaming.

L3 roaming is ONLY for this case, otherwise bridge mode will be better, especially for roaming clients. 

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.