Best way to troubleshoot Wi-Fi dropouts?

Craig10
Here to help

Best way to troubleshoot Wi-Fi dropouts?

Hi,

We are experiencing Wi-Fi dropouts randomly without any pattern.

This issue has been confirmed just Wi-Fi and noticed particularly on Teams calls (we use Teams a lot though!)

Looking through Meraki portal logs, I am unable to see any obvious issues.

Can anyone provide me with advice to progress this issue?

TIA

11 Replies 11
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Did you notice this issue in a particular device type (android, Windows, IOS, Etc.) or all devices? What type of authentication are you using? Are 802.11r and 802.11w enabled?

Take a look on this documentation:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Tintin
Getting noticed

How does it look at the ”Event log” tab for the the access points?

I'm also having trouble with dropouts for various devices and in the event log I (among other things) see:

802_11-disassociation.png

That info ”i” to the right of the messages doesn't give any info when clicked or hovered over. 😞

Another log entry for a devices says: 802.11 disassociation – disassociated due to 802.1X failure

I see there are other threads about ”802.11 disassociation” problems, but no clear answer on what to do about it. I guess it's complicated. 😄

Edit:

Maybe this thread could be on to something:

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Wireless-LAN/802-11-disassociation-issues/m-p/76859

We have a lot of disasociation - unknown over a small period of time-this screenshot is over the last few minutes

Craig10_0-1664363885881.png

Is this normal?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Did you notice this issue in a particular device type (android, Windows, IOS, Etc.) or all devices? What type of authentication are you using? Are 802.11r and 802.11w enabled?

Take a look on this documentation:

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Craig10
Here to help

Mainly Windows & IOS. 802.1X with custom RADIUS.

Are there any links on that documentation that may be particular to my issue?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are 802.11r and 802.11w enabled? 

Craig10
Here to help

Not sure, where do I find that out?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

On SSID configuration. 

alemabrahao_0-1664364850634.png

I suggest you to take a look on these documentations:

It's not just install access points, and It will work like magical, you have to follow some best practices.

Craig10
Here to help

Both disabled. Do I need to enable either of them?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Nope, well, there are many reasons that could be causing this issue. How many access points do you have in your infrastructure? Have you performed a site survey? It's normal to have dissociation when clients doing roaming.

So I suggest two things:

First read the documentation.
Second, try to update client's driver Wi-Fi.

In time, What firmware version are you running? 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels