Be warned on Firmware MX 17.5 on MX64 & 65W - Your SSID might be open with no security

BazMonkey
Getting noticed

Be warned on Firmware MX 17.5 on MX64 & 65W - Your SSID might be open with no security

Unfortunately I had the firmware "use Beta"  option selected.

17.5 has this massive security hole in the SSID security.

I had 4 seured SSID's using WPA/PSK and notivced 4 extra SSIDs appeared being advertised. They all had the same SSID name as the secured SSIDs but were fully open with no authentication. 

I logged a TAC case but really did not get an quick resoltion until I checked the firmware notes for 17.5

I had issues connecting to the secured SSIDs but the open SSIDs connected fine.

BE WARNED using 17.5 may leave you network open on WiFi like mine was for 5 days until I spotted it.

Bug listed as but failed to mention SSIDs being open. Fixed by rolling back firmware to current stable release

• Due to an issue still under investigation, wireless clients are not able to connect to SSIDs broadcast by MX64W and MX65W appliances configured for WPA PSK authentication.
2 Replies 2
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @BazMonkey 

Assuming you’ve now unselected the Beta option?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

100 % not going down that route again 🙂

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels