BLE API v3 and Dashboard Bluetooth Clients

Sakul
Getting noticed

BLE API v3 and Dashboard Bluetooth Clients

Meraki launched BLE version 3 in late 2020. This BLE v3 API introduces a new property "nearestApMac" which tells that tag is nearest to that AP.
Also in the Dashboard>Wireless>Monitor>Bluetooth Clients shows you the list of tags with "Last seen by" AP.
I found many time the "nearestAPMac" and "Last seen by" are different APs.

For example, for the same BLE Tag, API tells you "nearestApMac" is AP1, but Dashboard tells you "Last Seen By" AP2
I wonder if Meraki uses different algorithm to determine these 2 values differently ?
note: AP1 and AP2 are in adjacent areas. 

3 REPLIES 3
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I'd need to check but, I suspect you are right that they use different algorithms;   v3 of the scanning API is in beta.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>For example, for the same BLE Tag, API tells you "nearestApMac" is AP1, but Dashboard tells you "Last Seen By" AP2

This seems reasonable to me.  Let's say 4 APs can see the client.  It seems quite reasonable that the last AP to see the client won't be the AP that is closest to the client.  In fact, I would expect this to be the case 3/4 of the time.

Hi PhilipDAth,

in this case I did not do the "RTLS" style.. rather I did "Presence Detection" style. 

where I have AP1 in hallway and AP2 is meeting room 30 meters away and the Tag is located around the middle of the two APs.

As I observed, the "NearestApMac" is more accurate in pointing me the location of the tag.

So, I wonder what does "Last Seen By" mean exactly?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels