Automate Turning Off a Specific SSID on a Single AP?

SOLVED
Mike38
Conversationalist

Automate Turning Off a Specific SSID on a Single AP?

I work with a school that would like to prevent the access point in their football stadium's press box from broadcasting the student SSID during games. I have used tags and SSID Availability to take care of this manually, but I was wondering if there was a way to automate this process so that I don't have to do this every Friday afternoon and then undo it later that night during the entire high school football season.

Some more background:

They need the SSID off from 3 PM-10 PM on Fridays. To do this, I tagged every network AP except the press box AP and then used that tag to enable the SSID on only the tagged APs within SSID Availability. I see a schedule can be made, but it looks like it would turn off the SSID for every AP in the network instead of only the one I need. Students still need access to the SSID elsewhere on campus, so this is not an option. We'll also need other SSIDs to be available for journalists and their media team to connect to during the games, so shutting the AP down entirely is also a no-go. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
techiejames
Here to help

Disregard previous - forgot you can't have the same SSID in the same network. 

Move that AP to a separate new Network which clones the settings of the existing one. 

Then schedule your SSID availability on that network which will limit the scope to that single AP. 

Or if the Student SSID isn't ever needed at the Press Box, just don't deploy it on that AP. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

techiejames
Here to help

Disregard previous - forgot you can't have the same SSID in the same network. 

Move that AP to a separate new Network which clones the settings of the existing one. 

Then schedule your SSID availability on that network which will limit the scope to that single AP. 

Or if the Student SSID isn't ever needed at the Press Box, just don't deploy it on that AP. 

This sounds like the most practical solution for us. Thanks!

AutomationDude
Building a reputation

Hello Mike, 

There are two approaches I can think of here:

- Use an external Guest Wifi provider that has more sophisticated scheduling settings. Would be set and forget.

- Write an API script that is hosted in the cloud and automatically does this every Friday. Would also be set and forget.

You can send me a message if you need some assistance as my company can help with both.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels