Authentication Issues with Radius

Solved
ccie_ma
Getting noticed

Authentication Issues with Radius

Hi
I can see loads of authentication issues for the SSID which is configured for Radius authentication.

A lot of same clients that report failed aunthentication later report successful authentication. Anyone else experiencing this ?

Thanks,

Mariam

1 Accepted Solution
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Typically yes, but with successfully association at the cell edge, the multi-packet EAP-exchange with larger payload has a quite high likelihood to also fail.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No.  What does your RADIUS server log report for the failed authentication attempts?

Thanks for your response. I do not have access to Radius server log. But will propose this to the team who owns it. So in a typical environment we expect to see 0% authentication issues and 0% DHCP issues unlike association issues which can be present just because the client tried to connect two APs at the same time and then chose one ?

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The authentication issues should have a quite small number but are not typically 0%. The authentication exchange could fail because of roaming away, packet loss, or other problems while authenticating.

Thanks @KarstenI for your response.  If the client roams away, I expect it to log the error in Association stage not in any of the subsequent stages. Is that not right ?

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Typically yes, but with successfully association at the cell edge, the multi-packet EAP-exchange with larger payload has a quite high likelihood to also fail.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels