Are the MR53E's just not that good?

SOLVED
jonyh
Here to help

Are the MR53E's just not that good?

Hi all, 

We have a few MR53E's and the performance on these are absolutely terrible. I have worked with Meraki at some length but not really getting anywhere with it. Capping out 5ghz at 289mbps with stub antennas. Any ideas or is this normal?Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 12.06.36 PM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

12 REPLIES 12
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Stub antennas are usually only a fraction of a wavelength, have you tried with the normal 6" ones that should be better?

jonyh
Here to help

Sorry I meant the 6" dipole adjustable not the stubs my mistake.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Looking at one of the antenna's datasheet, the lead comment is as below:

Dipole (MA-ANT-3-A5/6)
The Dipole antenna is ideal for low ceiling installations where wall penetration or extended reach are important. Some example uses are low-density deployments like schools and hotels to provide basic low-performance connectivity. These types of best effort deployments usually have APs installed in the hallway to cover adjacent rooms.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Okay, they should be much better, sorry posts crossed over...

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

20mhz

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Which antennas are they, the bendy dipole ones on the datasheet are 3" including the bend so I don't think they'll be much better than the stubs, I couldn't see a decent 6" one.  That could well be the problem...

jonyh
Here to help

That could potentially be it. Switching to a wide patch could resolve this I'd imagine. Or just upgrading to the 55's.

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@ww is 100% correct here. The data rate you're hitting is the max for a 20MHz channel, which is pretty impressive actually. 

jonyh
Here to help

I've tried overriding this and adjusting the RF profiles but the 53e's default back to that.

jonyh
Here to help

Good call there. I switched it manually in the RF profiles to 80 obviously losing coverage area but hit that correct speed.

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

This as good as it gets really when your using 20MHz, and Macbooks are 3 stream capable too, so yeah, its awesome not bad. MCS9 is 'better' but not by much.

http://mcsindex.com/

Scroll down until you see 234 in the 20MHz column, light blue color for 802.11ac rates

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Try using 40Mhz wide channels if the environment is not to dense.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels