Anyone applying mastic and/or electrical tape to their outdoor MRs Antenna connectors?

Solved
scrapiron
Getting noticed

Anyone applying mastic and/or electrical tape to their outdoor MRs Antenna connectors?

Deploying a bunch of MR66s in the rain today and seriously wondering if these pretty white Meraki boots at the base of these ma-ant-20s is going to cut it. 

Does anyone apply anything a bit more durable? These are going to be getting marine sun wind and rain for years to come. 

Thanks. 

1 Accepted Solution
NickCalcutti
Getting noticed

I have the MR72, and MR66 and they seem to do fine without tape i only have had 2 die on me in the 3 years of using them but i think that was more of a grounding issue.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
NickCalcutti
Getting noticed

I have the MR72, and MR66 and they seem to do fine without tape i only have had 2 die on me in the 3 years of using them but i think that was more of a grounding issue.

BHC_RESORTS
Head in the Cloud

We have some of our APs around 200m from the ocean - 72s and 74s. No issues here other than they start to look pretty terrible after a year (but that isn't Meraki's fault). They have survived rain, moisture, birds, etc.

Be sure to properly ground them, it isn't just for lightning strikes!

BHC Resorts IT Department

Good point about grounding. Can you share any tips or best practices you implement. The Installation guide is weak in my opinion. I usually attached the Green grounding strap to the AP ground lug. I then run a ground from the same lug to ground using 14 gauge or better wire.

Would using Shielded and properly grounded ethernet runs suffice or do you always have to ground the AP with a separate wire?

i would say run the wire for the ground. better to be safe with that measure. Shielded ethernet couldn't hurt but then it raises your cost of the project a bit.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels