Any issue if I have two wireless solution in one office but in separate office space

chyeap
Comes here often

Any issue if I have two wireless solution in one office but in separate office space

Hi there, I am new to Meraki wireless. Can anyone share with me if there will be any issue if I maintain two wireless solutions in one office but deploy in separate office space. Eg, wireless brand A (legacy wireless going to change in some point) at level X and Meraki wireless at level Z. Will that cause any issue in the network?

3 Replies 3
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

As long as Air Marshall isn't blocking your SSID or you don't have channel interference you should be fine. 

Enthusiast

Should be fine. Preferably they should use different channels on the APs that are near each other.

Note that in the 2.4GHz space "different" means ideally 5 channels apart. The channels commonly used for this reason are 1,6 and 11. Also if it's not possible to have adjacent APs use different channels, then have them use the same channel. Refer to the image below.

image.png

Let's have an example. Let's say we have two APs that are in the same area:

1. Ideally they should be using different channels e.g. 1 and 6 or 1 and 11, or 6 and 11.
  2. If that's not possible, have both on the same channel.
  3. Don't put them in for example 1 and 2. While 2 is technically a different channel it interferes a lot with 1. And to make matters worse, the devices using airtime will not respect each other's CSMA/CA messages as they are on different channels. So this is the worst situation you can have.

No need to worry about this in 5GHz, which is one of the reasons why 5GHz is preferred.

And as @kYutobi mentioned, make sure Air Marshal doesn't block the other SSID.

Nash
Kind of a big deal

And definitely make sure you use a different SSID for each floor. I've got a client doing something similar, who insists on using the same SSID between the two sets. Then they wonder why things are a bit wonky.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels