Any Reference home deployment of Meraki that i can refer to?

SOLVED
Santo
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Any Reference home deployment of Meraki that i can refer to?

I am moving to a new house in the next few weeks, want to set up new all Meraki network at that place. (currently, I use google onhub wifi at the current house).

I am checking if anyone has existing all Mearki home deployment best practices or references which I can refer to.

I am looking for potentially 2 MR33, 1 MX68CW-NA - integrated with Cisco Umbrella.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

A lot of us do, thanks to free hardware aquired after webinars or courses or because the companies we work for deploy Z-series at home. A home isn't that different from a small branch. Although you might not want to go very deep into complex architectures. Perhaps you'll prefer to keep your network flat.

Keep in mind that a Meraki solution is not cheap for private use. It's really meant for companies.

Anything specifically you want to know?

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

A lot of us do, thanks to free hardware aquired after webinars or courses or because the companies we work for deploy Z-series at home. A home isn't that different from a small branch. Although you might not want to go very deep into complex architectures. Perhaps you'll prefer to keep your network flat.

Keep in mind that a Meraki solution is not cheap for private use. It's really meant for companies.

Anything specifically you want to know?

Thanks. Looking for which devices/models are used typically for home use.

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

I'm using MX64, MR33, MS220-8P. That last one is EOS and has been replaced by MS120-8LP/MS120-8FP.

If buying new I'm not sure I'd go for MX64 nowadays. I have a feeling it'll be replaced by the MX67. But indeed, it is a bit cheaper than the MX67.

As @DavidLowe already mentioned, If you're planning to combine the WiFi from the MX68 with the MR33's WiFi, I'd advise against it. They're configured completely separately and therefore don't play along too well.

Similarly don't expect the same features on the built-in switch of the MX68 as you would find on a separate Meraki MS switch.

nikiwaibel
Getting noticed

my inventory: MX64, MS225-24P, MR18, MR72

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

as @BrechtSchamp wrote, it isn´t really for private usecases, if you don´t have free hardware because of webinars / a company you work for.

Regarding to the Webinars/events I´ve got a MR42 / MR33 and a small 8P switch, but not in use at the moment. And when the the license will expire and I don´t get new 4free devices I will get back to something cheaper, tbh.

Thanks for info.
DavidLowe
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey Santo!!

There are a few guides available on https://documentation.meraki.com/ sometimes focusing on each product.

MX quick start: https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Quick_Start 

MR quick start: https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/MR_Quick_Start

There are a few MX deployment scenarios here:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides

I think the smallest one is aimed at a 'Branch' network rather than a home deployment. As such it assumes that there are more than MX in play, as it shows you how to set up Site-to-Site VPN's

--

Really though, it depends on what you want to do with your home lab.

Personally, I was happy setting up a couple of SSID's for the Family and for Guests and making sure that all IoT devices were VLAN'd off

One thing you will want to note is that the MX68CW has integrated wireless that will not play well with your other MR AP's I.E you won't be able to roam between the MX(wireless) and the MR's etc...

Thanks David.
Nydo89
Here to help

Hi Santo,

works fine, I have a MX64 followed by a MS220-8P and two MR32 working at home. 

Satisfies my needs 100% and I can even offer a guest WLAN for my friends. They love it!

For home deployment there are a couple of gotchas

• IPv6, being deployed domestically by increasing numbers of ISP, is not ready for the big time as the MX does not really handle it.
  • Multicast TV - again increasing numbers of ISPs are using multicast technology to distribute premium subscription-based content. The MX absolutely does not have the option of having an IGMP-proxy enabled. (it isn't difficult it is part of Debian releases).

Not coincidentally, these shortcomings are less pressing in US/NA than the rest of the world. I know several really large all service Telcos that have substantial managed services businesses. They would use Meraki stacks, if the MX was more closely aligned with current requirements.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

To keep costs down you could try Meraki Go APs, I have heard they are a good replacement for Google wifi.

The 68 is probably sized too big. I would say 67 or 64 should be good. The only reason I would recommend 67 is that if you are sure you will be using the LTE failover. If not I would go 64 to keep costs down and then go usb modem if needed at some point. Z3 would be an option, for about 10 devices, but looking at the current specs I am assuming that is too small.

Home Setup:

MX67

MS120-8P

Ubiquiti 24 PoE switch

3 MV12

3 MR33

5 SM licenses

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels