Any Recommendations for a long range 1400ft+ ptp setup

SOLVED
kfarley
Conversationalist

Any Recommendations for a long range 1400ft+ ptp setup

Hi Friends,
looking to setup a meraki PTP link for a golf course.

i was curious as to if meraki might have anything in it's antenna ranges that could allow me to beam point to point from 1400 ft apart.

i was looking at the 

AIR-ANT2513P4M-N as it looked that 30* angle might be enough but i'm unsure if that would be enough to cover the required distance.

it would be two AP's 1400Ft apart, with line of sight on a golf course.

any suggestions would be great.

thankyou!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Sorry to say this on the Meraki forum, but this is really not a good application or strong suit for Meraki gear.  That distance may work fine with a directional antenna, but you need to know that Meraki wireless gear does not do true bridges and can only extend a single VLAN.  A pair of Engenius radios for around $150USD can do five miles and will last forever.  I would save yourself some grief and money and use something like that for the bridge.  Keep the Meraki for everything else where it shines in performance and management, etc.  Consider the bridge like running a cable- you set it up once and should be able to forget about it.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Sorry to say this on the Meraki forum, but this is really not a good application or strong suit for Meraki gear.  That distance may work fine with a directional antenna, but you need to know that Meraki wireless gear does not do true bridges and can only extend a single VLAN.  A pair of Engenius radios for around $150USD can do five miles and will last forever.  I would save yourself some grief and money and use something like that for the bridge.  Keep the Meraki for everything else where it shines in performance and management, etc.  Consider the bridge like running a cable- you set it up once and should be able to forget about it.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I agree with @BrandonS .  Knowing when not to use something is just as important as knowing when to use something.

This is not a good fit for Meraki.  You could make it work, but it is not a strong area for Meraki.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels