Antenna Settings Randomly Changing

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

Antenna Settings Randomly Changing

MR84 with dual band omnis on all 4 connectors. I just looked at the config page and it had shifted one of the settings to MA ANT 21 even though its not physically possible to change only the uppers or lowers as they all change together. I should have screen shotted it. How the hell does that happen? I changed the settings around a few times and finally it went back to dual omnis on both. What? 

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
6 REPLIES 6
RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

Ok I am pretty sure I can reproduce this issue by switching the radio channel settings from Auto to Manual. Check this out on my MR84. This should not be possible: 

Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 5.36.48 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-10 at 5.36.59 PM.png

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.

The model of AP will allow you to use whichever antenna on the GUI, the only actual impact that it has is to inform AutoRF that the antenna is a certain type of dBi and it then makes sure that its max TX power does not exceed EIRP limits for the channel.

So in theory if you had manual power configured (which I usually recommend, or at a minimum set min/max TX values in the RF Profile), it won't have any actual affect/effect.

Might just be a GUI bug
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Not sure man but it shouldn't do that!

I just tested it again. I set all my APs to the correct antenna configs, and changed all their channel assignments back and forth between manual and auto and it completely scrambles all the antenna settings on each AP. That is unacceptable. @MerakiDave ? 

I have a similar bug where I want to apply a new Rf profile and only select override static power assignments but it also overrides the static channels and perhaps antenna assignments. So this is a bug and needs to be reported to support.

So from what I can gather, when you change it to manual/auto its losing the antenna it had previously. Possibly reverting to the default?

I don't have any external models that I can test with that are not in production already.

You'll want to contact support via creating a ticket through the dashboard or call them so they can be made aware 😃
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels