Android device battery usage high when connected to MR Wi-Fi

Dylan_YYC
Getting noticed

Android device battery usage high when connected to MR Wi-Fi

Hey Everyone, 

Ive been having an issue since i rolled out our new MR Wi-Fi. it seems that Samsung android devices connected to our Wi-Fi will frequently re-negotiate with surrounding APs. We have a fairly dense environment since we are a school that supports BYOD, so ive placed a lot of APs around the building and turned the power levels down. When i contacted support i was recommended to lower the maximum bit-rate from 54mpbs to something lower, but since these are somewhat new devices (less than 1 year old) that logic didn't make sense to me. Anybody else seeing this? All other devices are just fine with no roaming or battery issues. 

Regards,

Dylan_YYC

4 REPLIES 4
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

@Dylan_YYCwrote:

Hey Everyone, 

. . . , so ive placed a lot of APs around the building and turned the power levels down.. . .

If you have a lot of devices in a compact environment with plentiful APs, you may be able to turn off the 2.4 GHz radios so that everybody uses the 5 GHz band.

• 5 GHz signals do not leak into adjoining spaces to the same extent that 2.4 GHz radios do.
  • there are more non-overlapping 5 GHz channels than 2.4 GHz channels
  • 5 GHz WiFi potentially operates at higher throughput speeds than 2.4 GHz systems

If you must use 2.4 GHz channels, only activate them on about 25 % of the APs.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

Hi @Uberseehandel

I have setup our 2.4 so there is no overlapping zones, that being said the devices that ive been testing with rarely connect to 2.4.

Mention of 54 Mbps makes me wonder if support imagines that there are 802.11g users? Might be worth clarifying.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

@Uberseehandel Ive reached out again, i guess we will see where that goes!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels