Amazon Fire Stick over MR32/MR33 - poor performance

KateT
New here

Amazon Fire Stick over MR32/MR33 - poor performance

hello,

performance over AP's on a firestick is terrible and causes content to be continuously paused as it appears to struggle to download content. When connecting via other devices (iPad, laptop, phone etc) - no performance issues at all.

Looks like some interop issues between Fire Sticks & perhaps some AP's.... anyone else found this?

Thanks

Kate.

3 REPLIES 3
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

@KateT wrote:

hello,

performance over AP's on a firestick is terrible and causes content to be continuously paused as it appears to struggle to download content. When connecting via other devices (iPad, laptop, phone etc) - no performance issues at all.

Looks like some interop issues between Fire Sticks & perhaps some AP's.... anyone else found this?

Thanks

Kate.

Hi

I'm not sure I understand your topology, but are you saying that when you connect the Fire Stick via  a physical connection to other wireless devices there is no issue but when the Fire Stick itself connects to the AP wirelessly, there are performance issues?

The first thing I would check is that you are connecting using 802.11ac. I would also set up a separate SSID that used its own channel(s), and that the channel was wide enough to handle the required bit-rate to allow smooth streaming. You may even have to prioritise it.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Try this test for me - forcing it to use 5Ghz.  If it makes no difference change it back.

Wireless/SSIDs/[click edit on your SSID]/Scroll down to "Wireless options" at the bottom/select "5 GHz band only"

MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I've not heard of specific issues, but it could be a number of things, one quick way to rule out some of the factors is to whitelist the device and see if there's any immediate improvement.  On the FireStick's client page, take a look at its capabilities and match your radio settings, such as 40MHz channels for example.  And in the "Policy" section of the FireStick's client page you'll see any firewall or traffic shaping rules it may be subject to before whitelisting.  Look at your traffic shaping settings and adjust accordingly on the firewall and traffic shaping page.  Also check minimum bit rates and frequency band, go to your "access control" page and slide the slider up to 12Mbps minimum bit rate for starters and consider making it a 5GHz band only SSID to rule out any issues with the (typically much noisier) 2.4GHz band.  Also depending on which firmware you might try switching between the latest stable and latest beta to see if there's differences with things like 802.11r enabled or not.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels