Amazon Echo - advice

bluemoon25
Here to help

Amazon Echo - advice

Anyone has advice on the combination of Amazon Echo and Meraki ? Have just replaced home Wired / Wireless with Meraki MX / MS / MR combination. So far everything is connected and running fine except the Echo.

I have iPhones / iPads / Apple and Chrome Computers / Google NEST and quite a few other wireless clients connected to the Meraki network 

I have done nothing to tweak the general WiFi settings but I cannot get the Amazon Echo to hold it's connection 

This has to be a pretty common combination and so I am hoping others might be able to share their own setup and any tweaks needed ?

4 REPLIES 4
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I have three echos on my home Meraki network and have no particular problem.  Over a year or so I have had to restart a couple of them only a couple times, but I never bothered to consider if there was a network issue or just a glitch on the echo.

What do your wireless event logs show?  Have you looked at RF spectrum and considered the placement of the echos?

Thanks for the prompt reply.

One comment to add is that Meraki have told me to upgrade my Wireless Firmware to the latest and I have scheduled that for tonight

Meanwhile see attached Event Log for the Alexa / Echo and screenshots of the RF Spectrum which indicates a very busy 2.5G radio and a much less occupied 5G 

Any more thoughts ?

Screenshot 2018-08-29 17.42.43.png

Screenshot 2018-08-29 17.39.00.pngScreenshot 2018-08-29 17.38.49.png

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

so its connecting 2.4ghz. how about you run 5ghz only

Hi - thanks for the suggestion.....I think I resolved this with a combination of Firmware Upgrade to the MR33 and a move to a better location 

The 2.5GHz signal is needed for a GOOGLE NEST that has no 5GHz capability but I wonder if it might make sense to create a separate 2.5GHz radio for the NEST and turn off the 2.5GHZ transmitter on the general SSID ? 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.