All the packets are not being captured during air sniffing using wireless adapter.

NikithaG
Conversationalist

All the packets are not being captured during air sniffing using wireless adapter.

Hi Meraki Community,

I am trying to establish a wireless display connection between two devices, i am facing issue during the connection.

To debug the issue i am trying to capture all the packets in air using wireshark on the network adapter interface.

The network adapter that i am using is mentioned below:

https://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/datasheet/1224638657474/WUSB600N_V10_DS_A-WEB.pdf

I am expecting all the broadcast and authentication related packets to be captured so that this helps me in debugging the issue. But i can only see the broadcast packets, cannot find any packets related to authentication, connectivity. I have found that all the packets are not being captured.

Please help me in finding out whether i am doing anything wrong ? or do we need to do any configuration further to get all the packets.

Kindly do the needful.

Thanks & Regards,

Nikitha.

3 REPLIES 3
RodrigoC
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey Nikitha!

If you are not seeing some packets in your capture, it is likely the result of one of these four things: (1) The packets you are looking for were sent on a different channel. (2) Your capture device is too far away from where the packets are being transmitted. (3) The packets are not being sent! or, (4) Your capture device is filtering packets out of your capture for some reason. 

Most commonly, the issue is options 1 or 2, but check out THIS KB article on best practices for monitor mode pcaps. If you are still not having results, I would suggest attempting the captures with a different device.

Hope this helps! 😃

- Rodrigo

NikithaG
Conversationalist

Hey Rodrigo,

The issue was due to the first scenario, the packets are being sent on a different channel.

I am getting the packets now after switching the channel.

Thanks you for the help 🙂

Thanks & Regards,

G. Nikitha.

Any time! 😃 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels