Adding multiple APs (switches etc) from the inventory to an existing network

sbcoms
Here to help

Adding multiple APs (switches etc) from the inventory to an existing network

Hi, I have a client who has set-up their networks in Dashboard and claimed over 900 APs into the inventory, but not assigned them to any network as yet. The client has physically labelled each AP with a device name, which matches a serial number which will be deployed within a specific network. e.g. AP-001, serial xyz, network New York. They have repackaged all the labelled APs for shipment.

I have the serial numbers of the APs per site, a small site has 32 APs, a large one over 300, all I want to do is assign the APs on mass to each of their appropriate networks which match the client labelling. However when I search the inventory I do not seem to be able to enter multiple serial numbers into the search field..

I need a way of been able to enter the AP serial numbers for an entire site into the inventory, select them and assign to the correct network. Is this possible without using Puppet, then to assign names to the APs on mass. Is it easier to delete the network and start again using the bulk import tool?

Many thanks

4 Replies 4
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Are you able to use the Meraki order number? If it was all ordered in one big purchase never-mind, but if they were broken up into unique order numbers then I believe it will auto select any device that is associated to the order number.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Hi unfortunately the customer has just labelled APs up in a random fashion, in no logical order in respect to matching site specific sales orders

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If they have not done much in their networks it will be easier to use the bulk network creation tool.  This lets you import a spreadsheet with all the details.  The catch is it can only create networks (not add ot an existing network) and it can not create a combined network.

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Templates_and_Config_Sync/Using_the_Bulk_Ne...

Otherwise I would be Googling for a script that someone has written to do this for you.

Nash
Kind of a big deal

Really, this seems like a case for automation. If you're already comfortable doing so with Puppet, I'd use that. Otherwise, you could slap it together with some loops and the dashboard API. This might be messy but it's how I would probably do it if I needed it quick:

1. Use Postman to grab your network ID
  2. Make a list of serial numbers:
    1. Make an array OR
    2. Make a text doc that contains each serial number for that site
    3. Open the file in your script and yank the data out into an iterable format.
  3. Iterate through using claimNetworkDevices, one serial number per call.
  4. Profit
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels