Adding Wired Devices - How to Share Wired Connections?

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

Adding Wired Devices - How to Share Wired Connections?

I have some tall buildings on site that have a single ethernet running up to a MR84 or 74. I am going to add some more hardware up there that requires their own POE+ connections. Is there anything weather proof people use to offer another wired connection that isn't totally hacky crap or am I gonna be running a new ethernet cable up there? Either way is fine just didn't want to do something y'all already thought of. 

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
4 REPLIES 4
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

What about a small PoE switch inside a NEMA enclosure?
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

But then I’m stuck powering a switch right?
Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.

The switch would need power yes. Not sure what else you can do. Either you have to get a switch up there in a NEMA box or you will simply need to run another Ethernet cable (or more?).
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The POE+ is the sticking point there.

Cisco used to have a series of switches that could be powered by POE+ and give out POE.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-2960-c-series-switches/index.html 

I think I would run 4 cables rather than one to save any future grief.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels