Adding WAP to network w/o any.

Solved
Schoolat50
New here

Adding WAP to network w/o any.

I want to add a Meraki WAP to my network. It is the only WAP and will be behind firewall. I have a small wireless router behind the firewall but it does not cover the area I need. What is the simplest way to add it. I have POE cat6 to the location, and no controller.

I was thinking an MR20. Do I need to have a controller or can I console in and set the SSID and password?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

The Meraki access points don't need a controller, but do need a license. There is no console to configure the device from, the configuration is done via the Dashboard, dashboard.meraki.com. The easiest way to bring up an AP is PoE+ port, configured as trunk port, with DHCP on the native VLAN, and internet access. The access point will get an IP address from DHCP and pull its configuration from the Meraki cloud.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

The Meraki access points don't need a controller, but do need a license. There is no console to configure the device from, the configuration is done via the Dashboard, dashboard.meraki.com. The easiest way to bring up an AP is PoE+ port, configured as trunk port, with DHCP on the native VLAN, and internet access. The access point will get an IP address from DHCP and pull its configuration from the Meraki cloud.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Schoolat50  Provided you have claimed the device in your Meraki dashboard and have a license you should be good to go.

You cannot configure SSID via the local config page, that is for basic LAN settings only. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels