Add a temporary AP to a network to test splash page

Solved
NightHawk
Conversationalist

Add a temporary AP to a network to test splash page

I work for an MSP that has access to networks all over the US and Canada. The corporate entity that provides us with accounts to monitor and support has a 3rd party to control the splash page external to the Meraki dashboard. I have an AP (MR33) that is currently a part of my network that I would like to use to connect to another network on another Org that I do not have Org rights to but should be able to add through the Access Points page and search the inventory.

I would assume that I would have to un-claim it from my Org and then wait for it to be available to claim on the other Org and then add it to that network that I wish to test on. My account and the corporate account are the same and have the same support account number when accessing the support portal (XXXX-XXXX). I should be able to see the serial number of the device within a half hour or so, from what I remember about moving devices between Orgs.

I would like to be able to move the AP between my Org and any other Org that I have access to (temporarily) to test the 3rd party splash page to see what it looks like and what customers would see and what options are available on that splash page without having to travel to that specific location. 

Is this possible?

1 Accepted Solution
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Yes, this is possible in the way you describe.   Please consult this KB article:   https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Inventory_and_Devices/Moving_Devices_Between....

Bear in mind that, if you do nothing else, unless there is at least one spare AP licence in the Org to which you move the AP, you will - when you place the AP in a Network - make the Org out of license compliance and it will go into a 30 day grace period  (this assumes the Org is running co-termination licensing)   Org admins will see the red 'License problem' banner in Dashboard and various related warning emails  etc.   This can cause alarm, of course...   More importantly, if you don't remove the AP again, within the grace period, to return it to compliance, the Organization will be shut down (see doc below)

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Licensing/License_Problem_-_Out_of_Complianc...

To avoid this, you can call Support and ask them to 'move' a license too.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Yes, this is possible in the way you describe.   Please consult this KB article:   https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Inventory_and_Devices/Moving_Devices_Between....

Bear in mind that, if you do nothing else, unless there is at least one spare AP licence in the Org to which you move the AP, you will - when you place the AP in a Network - make the Org out of license compliance and it will go into a 30 day grace period  (this assumes the Org is running co-termination licensing)   Org admins will see the red 'License problem' banner in Dashboard and various related warning emails  etc.   This can cause alarm, of course...   More importantly, if you don't remove the AP again, within the grace period, to return it to compliance, the Organization will be shut down (see doc below)

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Licensing/License_Problem_-_Out_of_Complianc...

To avoid this, you can call Support and ask them to 'move' a license too.

Thank you, @GreenMan! I remember a teammate asking about this when I was an Org admin and worked for the corporate entity last year when we wanted to do the same and I know that some Orgs are under the co-term and some are PDL. I was a PDL beta tester and our team provided a lot of input to get it to where it is today. I also know that all the Orgs that are co-term have a license exemption until they get put on PDL. I will consult with the Org Admins before adding the AP for testing.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels