About Clients> Capabilities

Elianet
Comes here often

About Clients> Capabilities

I have a question:

I am in my network of Meraki, in the area of ​​Network-wirde> Clients and I am observing within one of my clients in capabilities that uses 802.11ac but in both frequencies 2.4GHz and 5 GHz, but the client only works in 2.4GHz.

I want to know if it is a Meraki error or understand the reason why it appears that it uses both frequencies when it is not.

Attached image of what was said.

capabilities.PNG

8 REPLIES 8
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

That field is what the device is capable of, not what it is actually using at that exact moment. 

Elianet
Comes here often

I understand, but in this case the devices are not compatible with 5GHz only with 2.4GHz, but still keeps appearing both frequencies

Nash
Kind of a big deal

Are you experiencing any problems, or are you only concerned about the information you're seeing on the dashboard?

Elianet
Comes here often

I am only concerned about the information, whether it is a mistake of the platform or why it happens to better understand the function of it.

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

There's a difference between what a device is "capable of" and what it is actually using ;).

Edit: Darn it @jdsilva . Almost the same wording too 😛

RSU21it
Getting noticed

@Elianet - I recently made the same observation in my Dashboard.  In my case, it is a Windows 10 client that shows in the Dashboard to be 2.4 and 5 GHz capable but I know the wireless card is in fact 2.4 only (Dell Wireless 1801).  

To be fair, I've been using Meraki equipment and Dashboard since 2013 and this is the only time I've seen a client's capability reported incorrectly in Dashboard but I do now keep a closer eye on what is being reported.

dalmiroy2k
Getting noticed

Sometimes the client device automatically chooses 2.4 GHz instead of 5 GHz, usually when it's far from the nearest AP and the signal is low. It's normal, but anyway make sure you have "Dual band operation with Band Steering" enabled on your SSID.

Si, este modo esta habilitado para el SSID utilizado, y los dispositivos no poseen la opcion de ambas frecuencias solo una. Si es asi deberia mostrar solo la frecuencia que esta siendo utilizada o de ser asi solo la que es capaz de utilizar.
Si, este modo esta habilitado para el SSID utilizado, y los dispositivos no poseen la opcion de ambas frecuencias solo una. Si es asi deberia mostrar solo la frecuencia que esta siendo utilizada o de ser asi solo la que es capaz de utilizar.
Yes, this mode is enabled for the SSID used, and the devices do not have the option of both frequencies only one. If so, it should show only the frequency that is being used or only that which is capable of being used.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels