AVG Wireless Latency and RF Profile

SOLVED
TedNg
Conversationalist

AVG Wireless Latency and RF Profile

Hi guys,

This is my first post here, and I am still learning Meraki product; so please go easy on me.

My question is all about setting up RF Profile "Radio transmit power range (dBm)" and AVG Wireless Latency in "Wireless Health" session on Meraki dashboard. For some reasons, our AVG latency is always around 150-190ms, not too sure if it is normal.

We have 42 x MR52 (Classroom), 7 x MR42 (Open Area), and 1 x MR72 (Oval Playground); so would "Radio transmit power range (dBm)" affect on the avg latency? We have WAP for every classrooms and most of school area such as Library or corridor as Open Area.

I tried to search for similar topic on this forum, but I could not find much information. But if you may have some experiences for similar problems before; could you please help to point out anything that we can have a look at?

Thank you so much,

Kinds Regards,

Ted

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nwu1
Here to help

Hi TedNg,

Another aspect I would look at is your RF spectrum, specifically looking for interference as wireless is prone to such (especially on the 2.4Ghz). The latency you're seeing is quite high but not abnormal and it really depends on if users/clients are experiencing the actual latency while performing work/running applications. 

It looks like you have quite a number of Meraki AP's, so I would recommend keeping the power levels on auto to allow Dashboard to run it's algorithm on antenna power unless you know areas where there are reported issues and can verify using a spectrum analyzer of sort. Bumping up power level will not drastically affect latency on the WLAN. 

Ultimately a wireless site survey would be ideal as Dashboard can report issues on the AP infrastructure end, but not from the client aspect.

Cheers,

nwu1

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Oscpimienta
Here to help

This may help! 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Wireless_fundamentals%3A_Signal-t...

About if the avg latency is normal, it depends on your LAN solution, but the transmit power as you say, affects it.

You can also check about channels utilization on the RF spectrum.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Channel_Planning_Best_Practices

PD. Sorry for my english, i wish i could help more..

TedNg
Conversationalist

Hi Oscpimienta,

My apology for my late reply,

I have checked the documents as well as others from Meraki website; lookalike the power transmission caused our bad latency, seem we had really mass deployment for our school. I have adjusted the power as below:

2.4 GHZ
Channel assignmentAuto
AutoPower max11
AutoPower min5
Min. bitrate12
5 GHZ
Channel assignmentAuto
AutoPower max14
AutoPower min8
Min. bitrate18
Channel width20

It seems working much better at this moment, and I also opened the case with Meraki; if we may have a better solution; I would post it here as well.

Cheers,

nwu1
Here to help

Hi TedNg,

Another aspect I would look at is your RF spectrum, specifically looking for interference as wireless is prone to such (especially on the 2.4Ghz). The latency you're seeing is quite high but not abnormal and it really depends on if users/clients are experiencing the actual latency while performing work/running applications. 

It looks like you have quite a number of Meraki AP's, so I would recommend keeping the power levels on auto to allow Dashboard to run it's algorithm on antenna power unless you know areas where there are reported issues and can verify using a spectrum analyzer of sort. Bumping up power level will not drastically affect latency on the WLAN. 

Ultimately a wireless site survey would be ideal as Dashboard can report issues on the AP infrastructure end, but not from the client aspect.

Cheers,

nwu1

TedNg
Conversationalist

Thanks nwu1,

Sorry for my late reply,

I did turning down the power level to shorter distance; and it was significantly changed. Most of the latencies were caused by the clients as well; we also had some struggles with 2.4Ghz devices, especially the printers. Even the latency is still pretty high, but lookalike the users did not notice the bad delay; to be honest.

Cheers,

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels