API - Block a device from an SSID

SOLVED
CiscoUser
Here to help

API - Block a device from an SSID

I need help with blocking a device from a specific SSID using API.

There is an option to do so in the Meraki UI by selecting the client:

DevPolicy.PNG

It does the work just fine. I am looking to find a way to do the same using an API request.

checking client policy by

/networks/[networkId]/clients/[client_mac]/policy

Before changing:

{

"mac": "__MAC___",

"type": "Normal"

}

After changing

{

"mac": "__MAC___",

"type": "Different policies by SSID",

"ssids": {

"0": {

"type": "Normal",

"name": "SSID_Name0"

},

"1": {

"type": "Normal",

"name": "SSID_Name1"

},

"3": {

"type": "Blocked",

"name": "SSID_Name3"

}

}

}

I know I can send a request with device policy being whitelisted/blocked/normal/group, but I aim for "Different policies by SSID" or any other way to achieve it, if anyone knows.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CiscoUser
Here to help

Thanks for trying to help, found the way.

PUT request to
api.meraki.com/api/v0/networks/{{NetworkId}}/clients/{{ClientMac}}/policy?timespan=86400&devicePolicy=Different policies by SSID

with the body

blocked_msg=&access=custom&custom_policy%5B0%5D=-1&custom_policy%5B1%5D=-1&custom_policy%5B3%5D=1&ids%5B%5D=DEVICE_ID

(when parsed it looks like this:)
parsed.png

Will get the result of the client having 'Normal' policy towards ssids with ID 0 and 1
'Blocked' for ssid with ID 3 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HodyCrouch
Building a reputation

The API does not appear to support setting different group policies for a client by SSID.  I'm not aware of any workaround.

CiscoUser
Here to help

Thanks for trying to help, found the way.

PUT request to
api.meraki.com/api/v0/networks/{{NetworkId}}/clients/{{ClientMac}}/policy?timespan=86400&devicePolicy=Different policies by SSID

with the body

blocked_msg=&access=custom&custom_policy%5B0%5D=-1&custom_policy%5B1%5D=-1&custom_policy%5B3%5D=1&ids%5B%5D=DEVICE_ID

(when parsed it looks like this:)
parsed.png

Will get the result of the client having 'Normal' policy towards ssids with ID 0 and 1
'Blocked' for ssid with ID 3 

Would love to use this myself! I'm not following the url you're using for the request. As far as I know you can't put spaces in the url, so how were you able to accomplish adding "devicePolicy=Different policies by SSID" to the end of the put request?

Gal_Tfilin
Comes here often

I tried @CiscoUser 's solution and could not make it work.

However, I managed to find the documentation of that functionality under the following API:

https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api/#!provision-network-clients

under schema definition.

You should set Per connection policy and list the SSIDs you would like to change the device's policy for them

Here is an example for a request's body that would block device for specific SSIDs:

{
   "mac": "aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa",
    "devicePolicy": "Per connection",
    "timespan": 2592000,
    "policiesBySsid": {
       "9": {
         "devicePolicy": "Blocked"
       }
    }
}

Sending this body in a post request to /networks/{networkId}/clients/provision will block any device with MAC aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa from connecting to SSID on index 9(you can get that using GET /networks/{networkId}/ssids)

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels