AP's not giving out IP addresses

Moraks
Comes here often

AP's not giving out IP addresses

Hi, please I have about 12 Cisco AP's managed by Cisco Meraki Cloud, I observed that sometimes my users does not have IP from the configured SSID's I also noticed that sometimes when a user connect to a particular AP, when he moves to another location he will lose connection unless he goes back to that particular AP he joined. Please does anyone know what could be responsible?

8 REPLIES 8
RomanMD
Building a reputation

I think it is important to have more details in order to understand your topology.

What is the SSID configuration: NAT, Bridge, L3 roaming, etc..?

Are there any settings like 802.11r or 802.11w enabled?

Are they(APs) connected to the same switch infrastructure?

Are they(APs) in the same management Subnet?

If the SSID is bridge, is the vlan allowed on all APs?

Moraks
Comes here often

Thank you very Much Roma, below are my responses

What is the SSID configuration: NAT, Bridge, L3 roaming, etc..?>>>>>> L3 roaming

Are there any settings like 802.11r or 802.11w enabled?>>>>>> on one of the Three SSID's

Are they(APs) connected to the same switch infrastructure?>>>>>>> They are on same LAN

Are they(APs) in the same management Subnet?>>>>>>>> Yes

If the SSID is bridge, is the vlan allowed on all APs?

Moraks
Comes here often

What is the SSID configuration: NAT, Bridge, L3 roaming, etc..?>>>>>>> L3 roaming

Are there any settings like 802.11r or 802.11w enabled?>>>>>>>>>>>> On one of the SSID

Are they(APs) connected to the same switch infrastructure?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yes same LAN

Are they(APs) in the same management Subnet?>>>>>>>>>>> Yes

If the SSID is bridge, is the vlan allowed on all APs

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Moraks as the network seems consistent, change from L3 roaming to bridge.  Also disable bonjour forwarding unless you need it, it breaks roaming for some devices.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Make sure you have Mandatory DHCP disabled. It doesn’t seem to work properly when roaming from AP to AP without renewing the IP address.

Moraks
Comes here often

hello CMR, I dont get this "Also disable bonjour forwarding unless you need it," also where do i check for this?

RomanMD
Building a reputation

@Moraks since you said your SSID is configured as L3 Roaming, please check your AP firmware version and update to 27.7.1 which fixes exactly a issue with L3 roaming.

However, if you are with the same L2 switch infra, I would suggest to go with Bridge mode. You have no gain by building useless tunnels between APs.

Moraks
Comes here often

Hi Romand, 

Thank you, the current version is 28.2, I have logged the case with the TAC, trying to upload the PCAP on one of the AP.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels