AP reboots when laptop connects with ax

jkuwarrior
Here to help

AP reboots when laptop connects with ax

Ok so we have 4 MR32's in our 5th floor office area and we have 1 MR55 downstairs in our 4th floor area for our building and that's pretty much our network. 

Anytime we connect a new laptop, or one that's been reset, it defaults to an ax connection on the card instead of ac and the access point it connects to, completely reboots. 

The AP's have all been updated and work great when a device is connected via ac instead of ax but for the life of me I can't narrow down the exact cause. The device type doesn't seem to matter, if it's an ax connection, it reboots, everytime. Until we switch it to ac on the laptop and disable ax on the card itself.

It's been doing this since before my time at the company just over a year ago. 

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

Is it any laptop? Even non-company ones?

Are you using latest drivers on the laptop?
LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

Yes, so far it has been any laptop with a card that uses ax and ac. 

Laptop drivers are all current for card as well. I will be in the office next week and going to do some more testing with different drivers, maybe rolling back one or two and seeing if that does anything else different.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@jkuwarrior I have an MR55 and a couple of Dell laptops with Intel AX200 and AX201 NICs.  Never had a problem like that in 18 months and that's running 26,27 and now 28 firmware.  

What switch it it plugged into and how long is the cable?

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Do both the MR32 and the MR55 access points reboot?

What about if you disable ‘ax’ mode on the MR55?

The MR32 is an 802.11ac Wave 1 device (and only runs the MR26 firmware - which is now quite old) so it’s possibly a corner case bug that you are hitting, but if the MR55 is also rebooting there might be something else going on. I’d probably open a support case on this one (but don’t expect miracles), just in case there is something they can spot, or know of.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is not normal, so I think we should look at less probable causes.

How do you know the AP is rebooting?  What has led you to this conclusion?

What is powering the APs?

What appears in the AP event log in the dashboard?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels