AP connectivity issues (<1 min)

EClap5
Getting noticed

AP connectivity issues (<1 min)

Hey guys.  Posting here to see if anyone else has experienced this.  I have a few networks that have experience one minute connectivity issues.  I see this happening more times on the APs themselves than the router for that network.  The WAN connectivity is fiber and I don't see any connectivity issues on the uplink to the ISP gateway.  Below is the connectivity for one of the networks. Does anyone know  maybe why my APs are doing this?

MR_con.PNG

10 REPLIES 10
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Do you have any switches on the network, are they getting the same issues?  If you go to one of the ports that the AP is connected to are there any CRC align errors, Fragments, Collisions?  Lastly, it would be worth considering if this has started to happen after the latest firmware update.  Sounds like some users are experiencing issues with the latest MR 25.9 update. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
EClap5
Getting noticed

@AdamOn one of my networks I have a Meraki switch and it has a few connectivity issues as well.  I do not see any CRC errors, fragments, or collisions for the past day when the attached AP had 6 'hiccups'.  Also, this has been happening before the 25.9 firmware. 

Adam
Kind of a big deal

So this is happening for your on multiple different networks?  I was mostly curious if you had a Meraki switch in the same network as the APs to see if it was also having the hiccups.  

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
EClap5
Getting noticed

@AdamYes just three networks out of a dozen or so.  Only one of those networks has a Meraki switch.  The other two have Cisco small business switches.  I took a packet capture from Dashboard on the switchport of the AP and the uplink port of the switch but I am currently in the process of trying to get the ability to run Wireshark on this machine since I just received a new one. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

For one of the AP's, if you get to its event log, doe sit report anything interesting happening at one of the 1 minute intervals?

Simple question while these are different network are they all using the same internet connection / ISP or are they using differnet connections?

@PhilipDAthNo, I only see an event right before and then an event 2 or so minutes later.  On the router of the network, 2 of the last connectivity blips coincide with each other.  The router log just shows the 'primary uplink status change' event which looks as if the MX reboots but the next event in the log is a DHCP lease 35 seconds after the MX event.  3.5 minutes later (the very next event) the cellular USB card connects which again seems as if the MX really does reboot in that quick amount of time.

The AP disconnects don't always coincide with the MX disconnect.  In the last day, the MX has had 6 connectivity blips and the some of the APs in that network have 4 of the same blips.

These networks are all the same ISP but in different states.

Zach
Comes here often

Do you have anything like solarwinds or ping plotter? What I would do in this case is setup the devices in either one or a product like them and see if they are actually going own or just loosing connection to the dashboard. These will monitor the inside where the dashboard is the outside. So if they don't go down internally then you know its an ISP issue. 

MP-AKIS
Just browsing

Hi,

I am facing the same issue with APs losing connectivity often for a minute or less. I am clueless what is causing this and APs are on Cisco 3850 series switch with port are on trunk. packet capture was of no help and Meraki support asked me to investigate on Switch environment. I observed this since last week. I did not go messages below since I been bombarded with complaints with wifi connectivity. through the over this  Any idea what is the exact cause or a workaround will be great help. 

MooMee
Comes here often

Went back and forth with Cisco tech on 2 different cases over 2 months. The solution for me was on our Sonicwall; UDP/ICMP flood protection. Disabled both, problem solved. 

This only happened when wireless users began to logon at a high rate. This is at a high school so at 7:30AM the issue would begin and at 2:45PM it would stop. All of Cisco's infinite wisdom couldn't help so i figured it out by pcapping everything under the sun...lol. I can tell you it was a happy day!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels