AP Placement

SOLVED
ITzhak
Getting noticed

AP Placement

Hi,

I have a warehouse that I want to cover with Meraki AP's. It'll be about a third racked up to the beams and the rest open space. 

The space is about 5700 square meters(18700 square feet), and about 9 meters highs(30 feet high)

Any suggestions on how many AP's and which models?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I agree with @Uberseehandel.

As a rough guide, you get good results with an access point covering a 30m diameter circle, or 706 m^2.  So I would go with about 8 access points.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

Hi

Rather than guess, I suggest you carry out a site survey using a product such as Ekahau Heat mapper this version is free.

Racked warehouse space is very variable in terms of predicted and usable range, and if barcode readers are used, then one needs to plan carefully as many barcode devices do not use modern wi-fi chipsets and require careful installation and testing.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

Hi @Uberseehandel

That would be my first choice too! However, this warehouse we're looking to move to is not ours yet, it's currently in use by another company. I've been asked to give a rough cost to provision wifi coverage and all I have are the dimensions and rough space usage. 

Also, the barcode scanners they use are connected via USB to their laptops, so thankfully it's less complicated.

That's why I think a "guess" could work. I.e. just standard specifications - like "MRxx can cover this many square meters on average" should suffice for this.

@ITzhak wrote:

Hi @Uberseehandel

That would be my first choice too! However, this warehouse we're looking to move to is not ours yet, it's currently in use by another company. I've been asked to give a rough cost to provision wifi coverage and all I have are the dimensions and rough space usage. 

Also, the barcode scanners they use are connected via USB to their laptops, so thankfully it's less complicated.

That's why I think a "guess" could work. I.e. just standard specifications - like "MRxx can cover this many square meters on average" should suffice for this.

You seem to be pretty aware of the problems ;-[]

Part of the solution will be dependent upon what is in the shelving units. I've seen warehouses which required APs with directional antennae angled down each aisle, which is pretty drastic. But the non-wireless scanners appears to be good news.

My experience, particularly if using the 5GHz band is, given the choice, to opt for more (cheaper) APs operating at low power than fewer (expensive) APs at max TX. It is much easier to get even coverage that way and less risk of unwanted signal leakage.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I agree with @Uberseehandel.

As a rough guide, you get good results with an access point covering a 30m diameter circle, or 706 m^2.  So I would go with about 8 access points.

What ever number you come up with I would add an extra one or two AP's just in case you find any gaps. Warehouses are tricky environments as shelving fills and empties which affects signal strength. 

Also if you are only giving an estimate at this stage if you come in slightly high and don't end up spending it all management will be happy.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

@ITzhak I had to hold off on replying with AP models until the new Meraki product announcements came out this week at Cisco Live and everything's up on the web site now.  Since this is warehouse based and you have 30-foot ceilings, you might consider the MR42E or MR53E indoor APs with external antennas, along with the D series antenna which is the omni but with 45-degree downtilt.  More info on the web site.  Post back if questions.

Thank you @UberseehandelI had a call with an engineer from Meraki and that is actually that he suggested for the aisles.

@PhilipDAth @BlakeRichardson Yeah, I think I'll go with 10. I always ask for a bit more than expected, as you say.

@MerakiDave When I had that chat with a colleague of yours it was the day that is was announced. However, I’m from South Africa and I am told it will only be approved here in June. We’re moving in to the new place in June so might be too tight. I’ll chat to my account manager to see if there are more exact times.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels