AARRGGHH... Printing...

Solved
Wayne_Bank
New here

AARRGGHH... Printing...

Hi, 

I have a Virgin Media Router connected to a unmanaged switch and a printer and Cisco Meraki AP26 connected to the switch as well.

When I'm connected to the Virgin Media Router I (and my team) can print no problem

When I connect to the Meraki AP26, nobody can print.

The AP26 is set up in Bridge Mode

I've added a layer 3 firewall rule to allow TCP on the Printer IP Address on port 9100 (HP).

There is another FW rule that says Deny Any Local LAN to Any Port... does this need to be Allow???

I can't even PING the printer either when connected to Meraki?

Another issue is that when I use the HP Smart application to try and scan - the application can't even see the printer!?

Can any advise if I need to do seomthing on the Meraki setup somewhere to allow printing, scanning etc on my Meraki network?!?!?

1 Accepted Solution
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

@Wayne_Bank wrote:

Hi, 

I have a Virgin Media Router connected to a unmanaged switch and a printer and Cisco Meraki AP26 connected to the switch as well.

When I'm connected to the Virgin Media Router I (and my team) can print no problem

I've added a layer 3 firewall rule to allow TCP on the Printer IP Address on port 9100 (HP).

There is another FW rule that says Deny Any Local LAN to Any Port... does this need to be Allow???

Another issue is that when I use the HP Smart application to try and scan - the application can't even see the printer!?

Can any advise if I need to do something on the Meraki setup somewhere to allow printing, scanning etc on my Meraki network?!?!?

If it says Deny any LOCAL LAN you need to allow.

Enthusiast

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

@Wayne_Bank wrote:

Hi, 

Can any advise if I need to do something on the Meraki setup somewhere to allow printing, scanning etc on my Meraki network?!?!?

If it says Deny any LOCAL LAN you need to allow.

Enthusiast

Thank You... I had a suspicion but you've confirmed that the Firewall Rule was set to deny and by allowing it all is GREAT!

cta102
Building a reputation

As an aside, if you have a MX then set the Virgin Media router into modem mode and let the MX do all the work.

The Virgin Media routers are the most willful and spiteful devices upon planet earth (Iv'e had enough of them.)

If my internet connectivity falls apart I always know that Virgin have done a firmware update and caused the router to go back into routing mode again.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels